Where there's a will, there's a way (in)!

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu, 15 May 1997 21:01:25 -0500

     This morning I had been engaged to tune a piano in a theater, as
dress rehearsals were starting today for a play that makes use of a
piano.  I have tuned for many productions at this theater, and arrived at
6 AM as promised, only to find my normal access routes (b)locked.  I
don't have a key into the theater itself, although I do have a key for
the building.  The custodians declined to let me in; they were new, of
course, and did not know me.  I took another look around the drssing room
floor below the theater where there are stairways up to the stage.  No
luck, until I noticed that the trap room was open.  Hmmm...  I entered
the room, found a ladder leading upward, trucked self, computer, and
tools up the ladder and found a trap door at the top.  Opening the trap
door, I found myself onstage and ready to tune.  About 8 AM a person
entered the theater through one of the locked doors, noticed me, and
said, "Got the piano tuned?"  I said, "Yes, sir."  He said, "Fine."  Hey,
all in a day's work for a piano tuner.  But I simply MUST raise my rates.

Kent Swafford