Usable Lifespan (was Re: Confession time)

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 15 May 1997 23:41:35 -0500

Horace,
Are you indicating that you will re-pin with oversize pins every time
you re-string?  Is the block on a D or C7 or SD-10 to the point of
instability in only 5 to 7 years?  I realize that the "concert"
instruments you are dealing with get tweaked considerably more than
those I see down here in Bubbaland, Texas, but we recently replaced the
bass strings on a C7 in a college setting by carefully backing out 1
turn (that's the tuning pins OK) just as you might do in normal string
replacement.  The instrument was probably 18 to 20 years old, and the
pin torque was well within factory spec.

Just curious.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter