Yamaha and breaking strings -Reply -Reply

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 16 May 1997 01:10:35 -0500

Mr. Wisner
	I hope you are aware that the quote

	"virtually all calls reporting broken bass strings on P202s
 originate from institutions"

are not my words, but those quoted from another post.  Your concern
should be directed there, svp.  Since it has already been posted
and should you care, I would be happy to email it to you and my
opinions in full context rather than repeat on this list.

	Which leads one to wonder why your comments about the P202 not being
made for 15 years weren't stated then.  Which implies that the Yamaha
guarantee is less than 15 years, which is generous enough.

	Your pet analogy is apropos if the paraphrase "not all pianos are
Steinways" is not too  much of a stretch. Here I must insert a "Sorry
I couldn't resist" comment in part egged on by a "less infamous"
subscriber.  I am glad (according to your information) Yamaha didn't
continue with such a dog.  DISCLAIMER  that may be more factitious
than factual

	Regarding disclaimers, if the manufacturer won't issue disclaimers,
at any time, then technicians must, else who should be consulted
about buying pianos of any age? Who does the work on pianos with
breaking strings?  Another function of this forum as it relates to
the music industry.

	Which brings us to the Yamaha keys being returned because that is
Yamaha's desire.   If these keys are more than 15 years old, would
Yamaha extend the same policy to  P202's that don't hold up?  Or did
_ALL_ ivorite keys turn grey? or as you put it more than 19  pianos.
Gwarsh I hope my math is right, so roast me if I am wrong, but  1/10
of one percent of 19,000 = 19  right?

Signed
Richard Moody   independent piano tuner technician

----------
> From: Mark Wisner <MWisner@yamaha.com>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Yamaha and breaking strings -Reply -Reply
> Date: Thursday, May 15, 1997 6:22 PM
>
> Mr. Moody, "virtually all calls reporting broken bass strings on
P202s
> originate from institutions"  does not mean all P202s in
institutions break
> strings.  Why, that's like saying "since almost all cats are pets,
all pets are
> cats".
> Since less than 1/10th of one percent of the nineteen thousand
P202s