ETD vs Aural

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 16 May 1997 12:05:28 -0500

Jim,

   What is the difference in Part 1 now compared to what you mention below?
   Does this mean that an ETD tuner wouldn't have to tune treble or bass
octaves aurally at all on the test? If this is passed, wouldn't this be an
unfair evaluation of one's aural skills compared to what an aural tuner has

to do to pass?
   How can one evaluate his/her VTD tuning without those aural skills? Or
am I completely missing something here?

Avery

SNIP

> The proposed language follows:
>a. All candidates must take part 1, tuning aurally only, and receive scores
>in pitch, temperment and midrange.
>b. Following evaluation of part 1 scores, candidates may then proceed to part
>2, tuning the rest of the piano by any aural or electronic method (except
>that all candidates must tune unisions aurally), and receiving scores in
>bass, treble, high treble, stability and unisons sections.
>-----
>ETS comments on their reasoning:
>The committee feels it is important that the tuning exams are equal for
>everyone.  More members are requesting the electronic tuning exam and it
>takes more of the examiners time to give this exam presently.  This is a good
>opportunity to make our aural and electronic exams more unified.
>-----
> In my opinion the committee's comment/reasoning is very sound in that it
>recognizes the similarities of both methods, and recognizes the differences
>in both methods without showing preference for either.  The committee also is
>saying that both methods are viable, which we already know, Huh ?
>Just a different slant on the ETD vs Aural thread that I felt you would be
>interested in seeing.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Avery Todd
Moores School of Music