Repeat Customers

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Fri, 16 May 1997 23:04:37 -0600

To List from Sy Zabrocki	=09

This morning I tuned a Baldwin Model L 6'3" grand. As I'm vigoursly =
whacking on the top high keys the lady comes by and jokingly said "That =
sounds just like a woodpecker." I responded politely but I knew why she =
had made this unusual remark. She is quite elderly and has a noticeable =
hearing problem. She was probably just hearing the hammer rap on these =
high keys.

I have tuned this piano 34 times since they bought it new in 1965 for =
$3000. You'd think this piano would be showing it's age by now. Not so. =
I've have kept this piano completely clean all these years. Dirt and =
humidity eventually cause the area around the tuning pins to look dirty =
even after dusting. Once they are allowed to get dirty it is almost =
impossible to make them look new again. On this piano the tuning pin =
area, agraffe area, hitch pins and bridge pins still look new. Also the =
soundboard.=20

Here's where you can gain a repeat customer. Suppose your customer has a =
brand new grand. She is still not aware that the piano will get dirty =
and that they are difficult to clean. On the next visit, while she is =
present, clean the soundboard and difficult areas. Then promise to keep =
it clean if she will call you regularly. Obviously many techs do not do =
this because we find so many dirty pianos.=20

One lady tells me she never knows if the piano needs tuning of not but =
she calls me because she knows I'll clean it. Oh I love the repeat =
customers--the ones who call me instead of me calling them.

Sy Zabrocki--RPT