Autopilots and VTD's

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sat, 17 May 1997 11:25:47 -0500

List:  How about this!

Frank Weston wrote:
I'm an ex-Naval Aviator, have my ATR...
and
Warren Fisher wrote:
I flew carrier aircraft in the Navy.

Folks, Naval Aviators are the best there is!  What an honor to be in
communication with them.

Frank summed up what my original thoughts were when he said:
> Flying an airplane on autopilot and tuning a piano with a VTD are
> excercises that share a very important attribute: the requirement for
> human judgement tempered by experience.

That focuses pretty much on the end product and reliance on that basic
experience, which I was always trying to do.  Some disagreed with my
analogy, but they were focusing on the hardware, pointing out that an
autopilot functions independent of the pilot but a ETD or VTD does not.
This is a good point, but IMO, does not contribute to answering the
question I posed:  Can a person who cannot tune a piano using the basic
tools and without an ETD be called a piano tuner.  My implication was
that an ETD is an _advanced_ tool.  Someone wrote in and postulated that
an ETD is an _essential_ tool.  With all due respect, I don't think so.
How can I clarify what I mean?

Basic instruments/tools:

Airplane		Piano Tuning
compass			pitch reference (tuning fork, tone generator)
airspeed indicator	mutes (strip, rubber)
altimeter		tuning hammer

This are just some examples.  My point is/was that an ETD might not be
included as a basic tool and proficiency and competency should be
demonstrated without the use of advanced tools.

Ron Nossaman wrote:
> Dangerous stuff!

How true.  I am very sorry that the thread deteriorated into "ETD vs
Aural" unless the vs stands for "vis a vis."  I never intended to open
an argument completely against using an ETD.  I know too many excellent
tuners who use machines and Dr. Al Sanderson is a friend of mine.  Do
not interpret my question as an attack on tuning devices.  It is not.
Nor do I see anything wrong with using an electronic pitch reference.
My discussion was about showing tuning prociency without an ETD, not
that ETD's should not be used, ever!  Big difference.  Actually, I have
had thoughts of joining the ranks and getting an SAT.  But then thoughts
of old dogs and new tricks took over!  Maybe some day...

Thanks to all who contemplated this and responded.  We had a great time,
didn't we?

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas