Universal (Classic, Story & Clark) Piano Player

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Sun, 18 May 1997 00:18:27 -0400

Dear Ferdinand and List

Thank you very much for your information, and I will proceed to contact
Story & Clark.
I have to add that I had the chance already to repair five of these player
piano, and I am servicing eight more, they were all part of a lot that
arrived to Venezuela between 1980 and 1985. I have not found any of them
with pouch problems, but I also suspect they had several models. For the
time being I had the circuit boards fixed locally and I added a Relay to
the vaccum pump motor were the circuit burnt. Aniway I wanted to find out
this information, because I promissed the owners I would try to supply them
with new parts.

The other part that gave me problems is the Paper Roll motor which for some
reason i donīt know, but I suspect the material they used in the brushes,
builds up dirt on the ( Sorry I forgot the name in English of the part of
the motor where the brushes make contact ) and that in turn lowers the
resistance adding to the motor load on the circuit. Now this problem only
occured on the earliest models. and the solution I found was disassemblig
the motor when servicing and  cleaning  the whatīs its name ( This model
also had different circuit board, one that was made up of two parts Power
Supply separated from Main PCB.

The third problem  occured on the late models All the pneumatics used for
lifting the keys are made of a sort of Vynil and they have also a Vinil tab
glued to them where the lifting rod goes in. This tabs became loose and it
was practically impossible  to glue them back because of the material, till
I came across a very powerfull glue that did the job. I used dental acrilyc
 (the same dentists use to meke teeth. The oldest were I used this glue
itīs been working for over a year now.

All of them had problems with the transmission belt which I was able to
substitute with a similar belt from a harware store originally intended for
some kind of sewing machine.

I am giving you all the description so you can figure out the models.

But until now I have not found any with problems with the pouches.

So as you can see, the only real problem I have is to keep my promisse to
the owners with what I consider the most delicate parts the PCB. and the
roller motor.

By factory all of them were model P2  now the ones with circuit an motor
problems had serial No between 74... and 78...
the ones with glue problems were all serial 79...

Regards   Elian Degen      degen@telcel.net.ve