unison

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 18 May 1997 07:47:40 -0500

Dear list,
	Studies have been made to where it has been proven that a "fatter" unison,
one that is slightly off, is more pleasing than a sterile right one on.
The oroblem is that if we purposely tune it that way because it changes so
quickly in its out of tune journey that are work would be unacceptable.  My
theory is that we should tune our unisons as sterile as we possibly can
with the knowledge that it will not stay that way and wander around to
where it achieves that fattness people supposedly prefer.
	It is that very reason"fattness" that the electronic pianos aim for.  It
makes the pure "unreal " sound that they could easily achieve,  believable
and that which we as tuners strive to achieve but miss the mark.  Ironic,
isn't it?

Electronics can achieve perfection in a unison and purposely miss the mark
and we strive for perfection, always slightly missing the mark and yet our
work or sound is preferred.