S & S 'M' Hammer line

Mon, 19 May 1997 16:57:16 -0700

Avery & Pat, et al,

For a time after the publication of Ed McMorrow's fine work "The Educated
Piano", there was a great flurry of activity around folks changing strike
lines in a somewhat more aribitrary that educated way.

In that work, Ed took the (very) defensible position that the distance from
the vbar to the strike point _should_ be set.   (No, I don't memorize that
number either - let's assume that it is nominally between 1/7th and 1/9th
of the speaking length).  The problem, _I_ think came when a arbitrary
number came to be set for this length.  In a piano manufactured so
perfectly as to "mirror" the designer's intent, perhaps that approach might
work.  In the real world of piano making, things are not so reductively
accurate; and one must rely on one's experience.

Thus, for some time, a good many otherwise competent, well-intentioned
technicians would remove the hammers in the 5th and 6th octave of a good
many S&S pianos, reglue them somewhat closer to the vbar, and regulate
accordingly.  The more professional of these folk took the time to make a
nicely balanced curve.  In addition to being more aesthetically pleasing,
it was also more easy to maintain good shape.  Other folks simply moved the
hammers which they felt to be offensive, and left the hammer line looking
like a poorly laid out picket fence.

A more productive approach, I think would be to determine the appropriate
ratio, see how close the instrument is to begin with, figure out which
direction the hammers must be moved in each section (and in what degree
they need to be moved) and then remove the hammers and make a nice, new
hammer line.

Ed says all this a good deal better than I do.  His book is highly recommended.

Ah, well - another small corner of the piano iceberg.

Horace

>Avery:  I maintain a D for a local organization that has the same
>displaced hammer line.  I queried Mike Mohr at Steinway about this and
>he said, to the best of my recollection, that some times a rebuilder
>finds it necessary to put the hammers in this postion to get the best
>tone out of that section.  Since there was no tonal improvement by
>moving the action in and out, I decided to leave well enough alone.  I
>think your time would be spent more productively in voicing the hammers.
>Patrick Poulson, RPT

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

LiNCS				voice: 415/725-4627
Stanford University		fax: 415/725-9942