An Erhard?

wtscherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Mon, 19 May 1997 22:31:27 -0400

Dear Friends,

I was asked to look at a baby grand (5'4", I'd say) and help the owner sell
it. It was refinished about 15 years ago - not bad but nothing great. A
walnut color. There's a crack in the veneer on the top at the curve. The
case is simple, straight squared legs, same for the lyre.

The man said his mother bought it when he was a boy and he thinks it was
used then. He estimates its age at about 70 years. He thinks the name on it
was Erhard.

It has absolutely no markings whatsoever on it; no numbers, no name, no
place - nothing. I estimate it will need about $150 worth of work in tuning
and some repairs to the action. Sounds OK, a couple of upper keys stick,
one doesn't play. Hammers show little wear. Some minor cracking in the
soundboard. It will cost about another $150 to move it.

I'm thinking she should be satisfied with $600 for it. Does this sound
reasonable?

Wally Scherer, Norfolk, Virginia
WallyTS@compuserve.com    www.geocities.com/Vienna/2411