S & S 'M' Hammer line

DougHersh@aol.com DougHersh@aol.com
Tue, 20 May 1997 18:14:32 -0400 (EDT)

Avery,
   I remember a time well before 1994, like maybe, 1989 or 90 when some
technicians were moving the hammer line in toward the flange to improve the
sustain and clean up what to me just had a dirty or fuzzy tone. I guess you
could call it nasal, but it sounded like if you were to depress the shift
pedal and the hammers were poorly fit. Most of the ones we encountered were
Model B's. At first I didn't believe it but when somebody demonstrated it to
me, I was really suprised. I think the most I ever saw one moved or I moved
myself was 1/8 of an inch in. The notes you refer to seem to be right in the
ballpark, I can remember note E6 not really needing it and on a B that is the
last note in that 3rd section. The trick was to use a glue that didn't stand
out and look ugly amongst the factory glue collars and to gently feather the
curve shape and blend it in as best as you could with the existing
hammerline. Just move the action in and out while striking those notes and
listen for sustain and clarity and if it needed it you will hear it. If I
remember right, Steinway corrected this with a change with regards to the
placement of the bridge in that section. You might want to check on the
history of this problem with Steinway because I'm just going off of my vague
recollection of the situation. I never did get a very good reason as to why
this was happening but it seems like it was a speaking length issue and that
it was corrected before 1994 (I think) Maybe Steinway could clarify this for
the list? Sorry for the length of my ramblings.
Doug Hershberger, RPT

<<   I just picked up the action from a Steinway M #526486 (1994, I think)
 that has had hammers reglued (9) closer to the flange. The notes are F# 5
 thru D6. I was just wondering if anyone had ever run across one of this
 age which needed a curved hammer line. The previous tech didn't curve it.
 He just moved those 9 hammers app. 3/16" in on the shanks. Supposedly to
 improve the tone right there.
    I checked the striking point all the way from 88 down to that point
 and everything seemed fine. I tried moving the action in and tilting some
 to see if I could detect any appreciable difference. I couldn't, so I'm
 planning on moving the hammers back into their original straight line
 position and then working on the tone with filing/juicing/needling/hammer
 fitting, whatever is needed.
    The customer was describing the tone as being too nasal. To me, that
 means a bright, brittle, tight kind of sound. The tone on the piano is
 actually quite mellow. Too mellow. There's no focus or core to the sound
 at all. Once I started focusing in on her definition of "nasal", it turns
 out that she was using "nasal" to describe the "too soft" sound. So I'm
 pretty sure that bringing the tone up will solve her complaint in that
 area.
    The remainder of her complaints all involve regulation that is very
 inconsistent. That should be no problem. I was just wondering about the
 possiblity of a curved hammer line. This particular customer has been a PR
 nightmare for the dealer, so this is a warranty job to try and solve the
 problems for him. Comments?
    Thanks.

 Avery