S & S 'M' Hammer line

Travis Gordy tgordy@fullnet.net
Tue, 20 May 1997 23:32:08 -0500

Avery: From your discription of the S&S M hammer line I picture a
blocked line rather than a curved one. From others responding to you it
is apparent that changing the hammer line, or curving the hammer line is
sometimes done to improve tone. I service an S&S L, owned by a music
club. It is about 10 years old. It loses volume and brilliance in the
5th and 6th octaves. It is improved when I slide the action out 1/8
inch, which hurts the top octave, so I would like to start a slow curve
somewhere in the 4th octave and end it in the last part of the 6th
octave. I doubt if even a technnician would notice the curve unless it
was looked for. Then I would like to follow that with hammer treatment
in tenor and treble to give t the brilliance a Steinway ought to have.
Not sure the committee will let me.

Also, service an L, for a concert class pianist. Piano age similar to
the one above. Only shaped and treated the hammers for her and it made a
world of difference in the dynamic range. She was really pleased. Not
sure a hammer line modification would have added anything. (These 2 Ls
are in different cities so not easy to get the good word from the
satisfied customer to the club's committee).

Hope this is of some use to you. Good luck.

Travis