Aural Pure 5ths Equal Temperament

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 21 May 1997 10:35:49 -0700 (MST)

Hi Dennis:

Thanks for your well reasoned response. I have not yet dealt with the
difference between the 3/2 fifths and the 6/4 fifths. This is still
quite new to me.  However, I do not relate this temperament to any of
the historical temperaments at this time.  You will notice that I refer
to this as an equal temperament which includes tempering the octaves as
well. When you actually try this temperament on a piano, you will find
that all the 5ths stay pure, all the 4ths stay in even progression, all
the 3rds stay in even progression, all the 6ths stay in even progression.
Therefore, this is not anywhere near an historical temperament except that
equal temperament was also developed historically.

I have a great respect for your depth of understanding of the historical
temperaments. For years I used an aural temperament which I tho't was
equal temperament, but which was closer to Marpurg I.  I liked the idea
of balancing the 3 3rds of an octave first and then I could tune all but
3 notes in the octave as either a 4th or a 5th from those balanced 3rds.
I called those my primary 4ths and 5ths. Then I could tune the last 3
notes from some of the primary 4ths or 5ths. Steve Brady was the first to
suggest to me that I was tuning strangely close to the Marpurg.

In this current tuning, I stress that this is more equal temperament than
that which we normally call equal temperament, because it also tempers
the octaves so that they match better thoughout the whole piano. Let me
know what you find after you have had a chance to try it. I may have to
alter my estimate of the 1.5 beat 4ths and octaves a little after I have
more experience in tuning different pianos. At the time of the writing,
I had only tuned my Steinway L and one Yamaha console with this system.
Now I have tuned a few more pianos including a Yamaha CFIII. The results
still make the piano sound bigger.

Jim Coleman, Sr.