CAUT Tuning for recordings

Thu, 22 May 1997 15:35:10 -0700

David,

Having fought, and lost this battle more times than I can count:

First, make sure your job description doesn't include some clause like "95%
other duties
as assigned".

More seriously, faculty at many schools _do_ take advantage of loopholes in
usage contracts, job descriptions, and the kind of nonsense that Newton so
recently went through.  If you have good administration, they will work
with you, provided they think you are being reasonable.  It is not to their
advantage to burn out their staff.

If they are not reasonable, and you will discover this fairly early on,
it's time to look around.

At the present time, the person whom I know to have the best compromise is
David Vanderlip, of Anaheim, CA, who works with the Claremont Colleges.
It's not perfect, but there is recognition of time over and above his
"regular" position.

The main "recording facility" there is the Little Bridges Concert Hall,
built in the 20's sometime, and known internationally as a good place to
record pianos and chamber music for 30+ years that I know of.  David took
over the whole scene following several somewhat disasterous years when way
too many cooks got involved with the stew.  He has been able to
re-establish the concert condition of those instrments, but it has taken
major tooth pulling with various campus officials and egos to get things
stable.  Moral is, if you have control, try to keep it; if you don't, try
to get it; if you can't, move on.

My two cents.

Horace

>This question is directed primarily towards CAUTs, I think.  Is there
>significant
>recording activity at your institutions?  I am not referring to the
>recording of concerts,
>but specifically things like demo tapes, audition tapes, CD's?  I am asking
>because
>there seems to have been a dramatic increase in the recording activity at my
>school in
>recent years, including the somewhat ambiguous area of faculty recording, as
>well as
>unaffiliated  sessions.  While the school charges a fee if  a special tuning
>is requested,
>the tuning is currently considered part of our responsibility.
>
>What's wrong with this picture, if anything?  What are your experiences?

>David Skolnik
>Manhattan School Of Music
>dskolnik@msmnyc.edu
>212-749-2802 Ext. 455