another repair horror story

Dick Wamser snapp19@en.com
Sun, 25 May 1997 10:33:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Listers:

This thing about abominable repair work could go on forever,
and I guess, if there is no objection to it, it will grow
larger and larger.

All of the foregoing kept reminding me of a retired railroad
worker who was "rebuilding?" player pianos in the late sixties
and early seventies.

The cases were fairly decent; mostly just cleaned up.  The
players were done with rubber cement, plastic tubing,
electrical tape and bubble gum.  The piano actions were in
terrible shape; flat and brassy hammers, back checks not adjusted at
all, let off all over the place, ETC.  Pitch was anywhere from a
tone to two tones low.  However, the amazing thing to me was his total
ignorance of available replacement parts.  As well as gluing split
hammer shanks together with thread or MacDonalds straws, he used to cut
squares of felt to put on the front rail pins. He
meticulously cut shoe strings to use as bridle straps and
glued them to the top of the hammer butts.

I only saw four of these "instruments?" and four were four
too many.

Dick&Donna Wamser
Meadow (VOICE ACTIVATED GUIDE DOG AND SCENTED SENTINEL)
Ginger (SEMI-DEPROGRAMED ALARM CAT)