another repair horror story

SGrossner@aol.com SGrossner@aol.com
Sun, 25 May 1997 17:32:00 -0400 (EDT)

<<  As well as gluing split
 hammer shanks together with thread or MacDonalds straws, he used to cut
 squares of felt to put on the front rail pins. He
 meticulously cut shoe strings to use as bridle straps and
 glued them to the top of the hammer butts.

Not exactly a horror story to add, but I once tuned a piano for an immigrant
seamstress that repaired all the parts with glue and thread. Not one shank
was not wound many times tightly with it. Including some flanges and jacks!
The piano held together. I had to marvel at the technique, considering she
did it all in the piano without removing the parts. Regards, Sam Grossner
Chicago.