Aural Pure 5ths Temperament Part III

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 26 May 1997 21:02:24 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jim:

The perception may have something to do with the close unison idea,
but I think it has more to do with the better matching octaves,
especially the wider multiple octaves. The beats in the octaves
are still more than what one would tolerate in a unison that was not
quite perfect. My personal belief is that this is closer to what a
lot or good aural tuners have been doing accidentally for a long time.

I have noticed that I tend to tune sharper when tuning strictly aurally
than when I tune with machine. I think that is because of the perceived
need not to tune on the flat side, so I overdo it a little on the
sharp side. Many years ago I used to hear people say that they liked
my aural tuning better than my machine tuning. I don't hear this anymore.
It may be because my machine tuning style is much better now. However,
now that I can tune the wider octaves more consistently than I did
back then, it may become more popular to tune with the wider octaves.
again.

I have a couple of very keen customers who will give me feedback soon
on this particular idea.

Jim Coleman, Sr.