Classical stretch country

Tue, 27 May 1997 17:51:22 -0700

Ed,

You wrote:

>Ok, that is more than 2 cents worth, but that is what my ears  and customers
>are telling me.

It may be more than 2 cents, but I think it's worth thinking about.  Your
story could be told many times over.  In the years when I was doing studio
work, certainly this kind of tuning would have been a very quick ticket out
of town - it still would be, in some areas.

While I am quite excited about getting this method more carefully
dissected, perhaps it is well to keep in mind that, like pianos, no two
clients are alike.  Paraphrasing myself from another context, what works
for _me_ and for _my_ clientele might be problematic for someone else.  I
no longer do any studios, so do not have to worry about either the
electronic instruments, or the specific needs found in that environment.
The point might be that I can "get away with" a stretch that might not work
for many others.

Still, my primary concern and goal is for each instrument I service to be
the best that _it_ can reasonably be.  This equation, if you will,
certainly tries to take a client's preferences into account.

Without regard to "slow times" none of us can really afford to lose clients
for the wrong reasons.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu