CA glue quirk

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 27 May 1997 23:53:17 -0700 (PDT)

Tom --

Thanks for the corroboration. I've never heard of anyone except me using CA
this way, though it can come in very handy at times. I've done it for about
5 years. While I mainly use CA and white glue with cloth or felt, it works
with leather too, and sometimes I glue wooden parts together the same way,
holding them together with my hands till the CA sets. I haven't heard of the
joints failing so far. I try not to stress them overly till the white glue
would have set up anyway. Wooden parts that fit together very well could be
glued with CA alone, of course, but I use the combination when they aren't
quite such a close fit, but the contact isn't poor enough to demand a
gap-filler like epoxy.

I think you're right about which glue is doing what, and I hadn't heard
about the pH data, but it may account for the results. I always thought that
the white glue makes the real glue joint, while the CA just holds it closed
long enough for the white glue to set up. It takes a surprisingly small
amount of CA to work.

I'm glad you tried it out. No substitute for actual experience. Anyone else?

Susan

At 10:42 PM 5/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Susan Kline wrote:
>>
>> Hello, all --
>>
>> I found out by accident that CA glue can work as an accelerator for white
>> glue...
>
>Susan,
>I just went out to the shop to verify your discovery. I put some white
>glue on the end of a strip of felt, folded it over to spread it out,
>then split the halves apart to drop in some CA glue. After an immediate
>closing of the halves, the glue hardened - probably took one or two
>seconds.
>
>To see what happened, I split the halves apart again and observed that
>the CA had hardened but the white glue was still liquid. So, I'm going
>to suggest that the _white glue_ is the accelerator for the _CA_.
>
>In the latest handout that comes with shipments from Ed Dryburgh, it
>states that bases act as accelerators (as opposed to acids or plain
>water). Possibly, the pH of white glue is greater than 7.0.
>
>I think it's a great idea to use where a slow setting glue is called for
>and time or clamping is a challenge.
>

>--
>Thomas A. Cole RPT
>Santa Cruz, CA

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing
about."   -- Ashleigh Brilliant