CA glue quirk

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 28 May 1997 06:10:33 -0400 (EDT)

Lee asks;

"Has anyone had experience with using CA glue for molded keytops? I
recentley tried a sample and my first impression is very positive. I
considering trying a set."

   Yes, I have used them for several emergency repairs,  but the results have
not been totally trustworthy.  I would recommend PVC-E glue..   It maintains
some elasticity, and there is little problem of the wood wicking the glue
away from the joint.  The CA glues suffer from "joint starvation" in this
situation.

     Also,  the CA glues harden when exposed to water!!  Emergency hammer
gluing ( like on stage, with the audience coming in............) can be
effected by wicking some thin CA in from the back of the hammer joint, and
then with a damp thumb, ( the moisture from a quick lick) rubbed across the
back, the glue hardens almost instantly.  And no,  this is not the result of
reactivating old hide glue, as this repair works very well on the later
thermoplastic hammer glues used.

Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works