Key and damper Leads

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Wed, 28 May 1997 19:19:07 -0400 (EDT)

<< I am working in a tropical country. Almost all the pianos here developed
 problems with the damper and key leads somewhere between 20 and 30 years.
 The leads start swelling and if not changed immediatley they´ll break the
 wood around them. I was told it was a tropical condition, but I would like
 to hear more about it.

Elian,

I have only run into this problem a couple of times and it seems to be a case
of lead oxidation.  In both cases the instruments had been subjected to
extreme amounts of water in years past due to leaks in the roof.  The only
cure that I have found so far is to remove and replace te entire set of
leads.  You've got my interest up now and I'll try to do a little research
into the cause.  Maybe someone else on the list has already learned something
about this and will reply.

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.