Recrowning

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 29 May 1997 01:42:20 -0500

In reply, so as to keep the thread on Horace's comments, I seem to
remember Leonard Jared talking about placing a wedge in the bridge
ala keystone fashion. This would involve cutting the bridge in such a
way to insert this as I don't think he mentioned removing the bridge.
 This is so vague in my memory, I am not sure of any other details.
Perhaps some one else has heard of this.  The soundboard had to
"jacked up" the incision made (before or after?) in a predetermined
spot, the wedge inserted, and the sb let back down.  This was only
from "hearsay" and  was it from him even??
	Even if this is a case of me not distingushing dreams from reality,
(is that why I perceive some saying, "Ah ha, he has let the cat out
of the bag?") on THINKing about this, more than one wedge might be
needed.  But where?  Also I would like to ask, how does the bridge
run in relation to the crown?

Richard Moody

"I wanted only to try to live in accord with the promptings
which came from my true self.
Why was that so very difficult?"
Hermann Hesse  Demian

Ever seen a wine cork placed between the wooden post and a rib?
Probably to stop a buzz. Not the one created by uncorking the wine
bottle.   rm

----------
> From: Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Recrowning
> Date: Wednesday, May 28, 1997 8:08 PM
>
> Jon,
>
> Gee, I don't know, this is my fourth post to the list in one day...
>
> You wrote:
>
> >I heard from a guy who claimed he can re-establish sound
> >board crown with shims. Even if it has 3/8" negative crown.
> >
> >Can someone fill me in on what I might have missed in the
> >last few years of trying to keep up with the last few hundred
> >years?
>
> Sure - this is something a bunch of us retired a long time ago.  It
does
> keep surfacing, however.
>
> So, now that you know what my prejudice is:
>
> While there are different methods, the deal is to disassemble the
piano,
> usually invert it, wedge the board up by driving wedges(!) between
the
> beams and ribs, then proceed with whatever repairs are in order for
the
> board (shimming, etc.), then glue all in place (except for the
wedges, of
> course).
> Among the variations I've seen/tried
snip   see thread