S&S D --BROKEN SOSTENUTO STIRRUP

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 30 May 1997 00:19:51 -0400 (EDT)

> Could someone please list the directions for silver soldering
>  this type of repair.
>
>  ilvey

David,
The technique is the same as with regular solder. Silver solder is just
harder and requires a little higher temperature (not all that much). I brush
paste flux into the holes and onto the wire, then press the wire in, then
heat the rod itself with a torch. When the flux bubbles vigorously, touch the
solder to the joint, and as it starts to flow, play the flame on the wire as
well. It will heat almost immediately.

As I mentioned in a previous note, if the solder slurps into the joint or
looks concave, it's okay. If it beads up, it's probably not completely
attached to the rod. It will also look as if it's clinging to the wire.

Hope this answers your question.
Bob Davis