Recrowning

Marcel Carey mcpiano@multi-medias.ca
Fri, 30 May 1997 07:31:35 -0400

>Curious to know the name of piano and where the shim (wedgie, I might
>as well be the first one to make a crack on this one) was placed.
>R Moody

Richard and List,

The piano was a Heintzman "M" probably built around 1914. I don't know who
the technician was. The work had been done long time before I even attempted
to tune pianos. There were two shims. One just under the plate's strut
between tenor and treble and one in the middle of the tenor section.

To me, the best sounding bridges are made of laminated maple or mixture
topped by a hard maple cap. From what I've read in "Piano Tone Building",
the bridge should be one piece or laminated but with longitudinal grain as
to carry the vibrations all the way along the bridge. Cutting the bridge in
one or two places, IMHO, is just contrary to the original purpose.

Hope this will remove all doubts.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC