to master or not to master

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Tue, 20 May 1997 22:35:25 +0000

Cyril & list,

> To the list of piano technicians who master their skill,
> AS long as "repairing" a sound board with epoxy, gluing the tuning pins with
> CA, voicing the hammers with Lipton tea are standard respected technicians
> skills.  It doesn't matter what you put behind your name.

Some valid points are raised herein, but also, without a unifying
structure such as PTG, no set of standards of 'good' repairs would
exist. Individual manufacturers vary widely on service and regulation
technique, and there is no standard for repairing and rebuilding
vintage pianos other than shop experience and input from other
technicians. I do a fair amount of restoration/rebuilding, and I
state with some certianty that there is no one 'lost art' we are
trying to preserve. Manufacturers then, as now, were trying to
construct instruments that varied widely in quality of construction,
based on market appeal and economics. The bulk of common knowledge is
distilled down from technicians talking to each other and exchanging
information, mostly, these days, through an organization such as the
PTG.

 The poor repair technique examples you have listed are eclipsed
regularly on this list and in PTG publications by solid, documented
repair and service techniques. They are also for situations that
are above basic repair and regulation practise that PTG tests for
in its examination processes. When the accepted repair (new
soundboard, pinblock, etc.) is not feasable (and we have to admit,
professionals or no, that this happens more than we can control...)
then 'repairs' or fixes that fall outside the normal scope of
accepted piano repair will be utilized. (try and get two or three
technicians to agree on proper repair techniques for _anything_!) One
of the strengths of this list is that these repair techniques are
tested, documented, and argued! I don't personally agree with two of
the three repairs listed above (e-mail me if you want to chat about
which two...) and there are others who don't as well, but at least
they are tested. And argued, and thought about. None of the
above mentioned examples are accepted practise by most
technicians, and you can't say that because RPT's thought of it,
it is approved of by the PTG. Yet, they served in sticky situations,
and allowed the technicians to think outside their training. Doing a
poor repair because that's all you were taught to do is no excuse to
continue that technique. This goes for anyone with any intitials
behind their name.

 A technician that
> respects his or her profession repairs and is able to repair sound board with
> sound board, tuning pins with tuning pins, pin block with pin block, bushing
> with bushing, sticking center pin with non sticking center pin, hammers with
> hammers, tuning with ears, voicing with needles (some manufacturers in their
> inability to make good hammers made us believe that lacquer creates a better
> tone, therefore lacquer is an unfortunate skill necessary for those pianos)
> The practice of quick fixing with materials not original to the piano don't
> require the specific skills of a piano technician. In my opinion the point of
> having an organized guild is to protect and instruct an old skill and being a
> watch dog and aid to the manufacturing industry.

While this is a noble aim, is is completely ignorant of how
technicial organizations and manufacturers interact. The
manufacturers will continue to build pianos that cause technicians to
twitch and writhe. They are building for the paying public, after
all. The function of an organized guild is to set a measure of
professional standards and technicial competency for its members.
That in itself is a huge job. More than many other professional
organizations do. Acting as a watchdog on piano manufacturing is
simply not within their mandate for their members, or within the
realm of knowledge of the elected officers.  You don't see the AMA
telling major pharmecutical companies to hold back on new drug
testing because it will cut into their business! Manufacturers have a
good representation of technicians who work for them in all aspects
of piano manufacture. I've met many of them. Many are RPT's. However,
the PTG's job is not to tell manufacturers how to build pianos.
Overall, there are few among the guild who have enough knowledge of
piano construction to knowledgeably tell manufacturers what should
and shouldn't be done

Let me give an example of the
> watch dog function. When Steinway introduced Teflon it first appeared to be a
> good innovation. But when it was not accepted by their own factory in Hamburg
> and numerous problems were reported within the first two years of it's
> introduction in the US, the PTG should have rang the alarm bell at the door
> steps of the NY factory.  Twenty years later?  Send your bike to the piano
> technician and he will make it fly.

Even if the bells were ringing (and I'm told they were), would this
have changed the results? No, historically, they had to adapt and
change, as is what happened when they reverted to traditional
bushings. . You mention the teflon bushings, but what of
the Kawai ABS action parts? If traditional standards were adhered to,
they wouldn't have been put into production. Yet, I consistently find
they work well, and other technicians have found the same. Piano
construction is and will continue to be largely a hit and miss affair
when it comes to innovation. Other innovations, Baldwin Corfam leather replacement, has
been changed as well, to a different synthetic (Ecsaine, thanks Del),
which has worked so well in the last 18 years that it has become
standard on all Baldwin verticals. Works well, no deer had to die. My
idea of a good innovation.

Essentially my ramble boils down to this:  I don't credit the PTG
with everything I know, but I give it credit for what it has done to
increase my knowledge. Few other technicial organizations can make
such a claim.

PS.  Flying bicycles are easily achieved with a good trebuchet.

> Cyrillus Aerts I.P.T. (independent piano technician)
> University of North Texas
>
> p.s. Frans deze is voor jou en de mazzel.

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG
atonal@planet.eon.net

"Server's poor response