hammer problems

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Thu, 02 Oct 1997 16:48:55 -0400

> On Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:40:56 -0500 "pianoman" <pianoman@inlink.com>
> writes:
> >Dear list,
> >Just came back from a client that I just tuned for last Friday.
> >(Howard
> >Gr).  I have been tuning for them since January ,1990.  On Saturday I
> >got a
> >call from them saying that 1 note was not working.  Got there today
> >and
> >pulled the action.  3 hammers have unglued felt from the striking
> >point to
> >the back tail.  The unglued felt was catching on the damper wire so
> >that
> >was why the note wasn't working.  The person who replaced the hammers
> >for
> >them (just before 1990) is a tuner-tech-friend-competitor.  The
> >hammers
> >were replaced but not the shanks.  Where the shank comes through the
> >hammer
> >tail has not been filed flush with the tails.  I am surprised the
> >backchecks had not worn through.  This person has always done high
> >quality
> >work so I'm not sure if he actually did the work or paid someone else
> >to do
> >it.  Anyway I told them that this length of time would be passed any
> >type
> >of guarantee.  I have already told them (an elderly couple) that the
> >tone
> >quality on these 3 notes would not be matching the surrounding notes.
> >
> >Question 1.  What glue would you use to glue these hammers back
> >together?
> >Question 2.  Any ideas on clamping these hammers back together in a
> >workmanlike manner?
> >Question 3.  I told them that probably there may be more coming loose
> >in
> >the future and not to be surprised.  They look like Schaff's Standard
> >Hammers (red inner reinforcing no outer reinforcing and small staples
> >in
> >top and bottom.)  Am I wrong?
> >I will wait till the weekend to decide on the course of action.  Thank
> >you
> >in advance for your thoughts.
> >James Grebe
> >R.P.T. from St. Louis
> >pianoman@inlink.com
> >"Do it because it is right"

Dear Jim:

A school I service has had Baldwin hammer felt come unglued due to
dampness. I've reglued them using a hot glue gun and then clamping them.
There is little change in sound and as of this date they've been glued
for a year with no complaints yet.
Hope this is of some help.
Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT
Hallett's Piano Service
dhalle@toolcity.net
'Never let a computer know you're in a hurry' - anon