Unequal temperaments[

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Fri, 03 Oct 1997 15:14:11 -0700

Bravo, Ed Foote, for your plunge into historic temperaments. We can
learn a lot about the music of the pre-equal temperament times by using
the tuning systems that were current. For those of us who have occasion
to tune harpsichords(which usually implies music of earlier times), the
application of historic temperaments is more important. The harpsichord,
with its limitations of tonal expression(compared with the piano),
benefits by tuning systems which make different keys sound "different".
This is another tool that the composers for harpsichord could use to
create a broader range of expression for the instrument.

The study of unequal temperaments is good for the tuning psyche, in
general. Knowing one temperament only is like knowing is like knowing
only one language. Learning different modes of expression can only
broaden and deepen our expressive powers, no matter what the subject.

Keep up the liner notes, Ed.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ