perfect fifth questions

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 4 Oct 97 20:48:14 -0500

(Sorry about the "mis-fire" of this post before.)

pianoman wrote:

>Dear list,
>With the process of doing the perfect fifths tunings on the SAT, questions.
>
>1. Are the perfect fifths used only as a way to stretch the octaves further
>or is it just as important that the fifths be perfect as well as the
>octaves stretched further.

Wide tunings are desirable for a number of reasons, including the fact
that melody notes of octave 6 and thereabouts just sound so wonderfully
"in-tune" for whatever reason when the tunings are wide.

>2.  In using the RCT, since there is a choice of 10 different octave
>stretch choices, is there on of them that comes closest to the perfect
>fifth results of the SAT?

No.  This will vary from piano to piano.  Pianos vary in both general
level of inharmonicity and in the inharmonicity curves throughout the
scales.  If piano tuners put a more-or-less uniform amount of stretch in
the A3-A4 octave, say 1/3 beat per second at the 4:2, then the width of
the fifths in pianos will vary.  This means that Jim Coleman's suggestion
of adding an extra 1.5 cents to the reading for the A in FAC will have a
different effect on different pianos.  Caution is in order.  That same
extra 1.5 cents will be conservative on some pianos and extreme on others.

Kent Swafford

I posted the following to some of the RCT users on September 1.  The
other RCT users seemed to agree.

I have experimented with some wider tunings during the time that these
tunings have been under discussion on the lists.  My conclusion is that
there are very good reasons for the standard practices that we employ.  A
pure fifths temperament may be an "extreme" tuning unsuitable for
everyday use.  On pianos that are in use by a given pianist day in and
day out, I think those wide octaves and fast fourths are going to become
excruciating.  And if, as happened on a B that I tuned wide, the tenor
drops, the octaves will simply be over-the-line and unacceptable.
12-tone equal temperament has a built-in safety factor that you will
surely lose with wide tunings.

Now, having said that, I do think that there is a place for some wide
tunings on concert instruments that will have little opportunity for
drift between tuning and concert.  A tuning done up somewhat differently
from an artist's everyday piano might be just the thing to inspire the
pianist into a transcendent performance.

Now, wide tunings and calculating them:  As I have said, a pure fifths
equal temperament is an extreme temperament.  Instead of being a tuning
based on the 12th root of 2 as is 12-tone to the octave equal
temperament, 7-tone to the pure perfect fifth equal temperament would be
based on the 7th root of 1.5.  The difference between the two is not
minor;  pure fifths equal temperament is a _different_ tuning and and we
should not necessarily expect our VTD's to calculate them.

Based on looking at the 3:2 5ths that Ch2 calculates directly, and
assuming that Ch2 is calculating high quality equal temperament, and
seeing that the fifths are often still 2 cents contracted at the same
time the octave is expanded 2/3 cents at the 4:2, I am extremely
skeptical that an FAC tuning with an extra cent in the A number will
result in pure fifths, although they may _sound_ aurally mostly pure.
Theoretically, it would take well over 3 cents expansion in the octave to
result in pure 5ths.

In other words I think Jim Coleman, Sr. isn't _really_ tuning pure 5th
equal temperament, but more like 1 cent contracted 5ths equal
temperament, which I have found to be plenty extreme in itself, at least
on some pianos.

You know, since Jim Coleman, Sr. has been talking about all this, some
things have been made clear:  There is a clear discrepancy between one
thing tuners _believe_ and what appears to be the _reality_ of piano beat
rates.  Dr. Sanderson always said that pianos are scaled so that their
beat rates can resemble those of the mathematical model.  Tuners often
repeat that piano 5ths are tuned at 1 cent contracted instead of 2 as a
part of normal stretching.  Based on what I have seen in Ch2 and my
experiences trying out some wide tunings that I found to be way too
extreme, I would say Dr. Sanderson was absolutely right -- we tune pianos
with 2 cent contracted 5ths, and the oft-repeated tale of 1 cent fifths
is, mostly, a simple myth.

Kent