perfect fifth questions

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 05 Oct 1997 00:11:50 -0700 (MST)

Hi Kent:

Since my name has been used, may I humbly disagree with a few of your
comments?

Equal temperament on pianos is not the 12th root of 2 due to the effect
of inharmonicity which in and of itself stretches the octaves some.
This is why the 5ths in normal equal temp. tunings are less than 2 cents
and the 4ths are more than 2 cents. You can easily check this with your
RCT or the SAT (I have done both).

When I do Pure 5ths equal temperaments, I can and often do check the
5ths with either machine. Due to the individual inharmonicities of the
notes involved, all the 5ths may not be perfectly pure (some may be
wide). Until version 2.0 of the RCT comes out, it will not be possible
on many pianos to tune pure 5ths temperament with the custom feature,
but at least an approach can be made.

If we didn't have inharmoncity in pianos, my calculations show that it
would be necessary to stretch the octave by 3.26 cents in order to
result in pure 5ths. Here is a case where normal inharmonicity in pianos
helps us have quieter 5ths with just our normal tunings.

Kent, you are right in suggesting caution. The pure 5ths temperament
is not for everybody. For low inharmonicity pianos the octave stretching
will be more radical in producing pure 5ths. For pianos with greater
inharmonicity, the octave additional stretch requirement will be less.

On the question of myths. if you will tune a pure 5ths temperament
with your SAT and then check it with your RCT set for tuning by the
3rd partials, you will see how close the 5ths come out to pure when you
set your RCT on the bottom of the interval, stop the display with the
pitch adjustment on the right of the screen, and then watch how still
the display is when the upper note of the 5th is played. Of course one
could do a similar thing with just the SAT alone if he puts the SAT in
TUNE mode and adjusts it to the 3rd partial of the bottom note of the
5ths and then plays the upper note of the 5ths. It's quicker to stop
the dots on the SAT than to stop the pattern on the RCT for the
comparisons.

Jim Coleman, Sr.