Fact Or Fiction..

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 18:36:20 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Phil --

The tuning pin tightener I've used is 1/2 alcohol, but the alcohol is not
what is doing the tightening. The tightening agent is glycerin. The alcohol
is only there to get the glycerin thin enough to wick into the pinblock, so
its dissipation is not a problem.

Yes, it is a temporary fix. It just swells the wood up, like making it
semi-permanently wet. If anything, it accelerates the deterioration of the
wood, while giving a few more years of service.

I'm looking with great interest at the CA alternative, where the glue
actually follows cracks and sticks separated layers back together, and
therefore might even do some real good instead of just treating symptoms.

I agree it's early days yet, so a little caution is reasonable. (i.e. try it
first on a real dog-piano in truly terminal condition, or on a piano you own
yourself.) Of course, most bad pinblocks are pretty terminal already, which
widens your scope.

Yours,

Susan

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

At 04:28 PM 10/5/97 -0400, Phil Bondi wrote:
>..Tuning Pin Tightner(Restorer)..
>
>..I've been led to believe that TPT is a no-no because it's mostly alcohol
>and the alcohol will dissipate in time, making it a temp fix..
>
>..i have read here where some sort of super glue was used with good
>results..i don't think I wanna *go there* yet..
>
>..I hope this doesn't turn into the *great debate*..i'm just looking for
>comments and people's experiences.
>
>..the reason i'm asking is because I'm tuning mostly older pianos at this
>stage of my development..I DO get new ones with my association with a
>dealership, but the question still remains...............fact or fiction?

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I'm glad there are at least some things somewhere that I don't have to do
today."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant