more re: perfect fifth questions

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 05 Oct 1997 21:29:33 -0700 (MST)

Hi again Kent:

The last time Steve gave his class on this subject, was before he and
I had long discussions. Since then, he has modified his program to
allow additional stretch, not only in his two octave temperament, but
variation is now possible in all octaves. That man is a genius. I have
tracked all of his formulae. He has a great understanding of all that
is involved. With his system it is now possible to tune by pure 5ths or
any size octave and have all of the resultant intervals displayed in
either cents widths or in beats. His program also has graphing
capability so that it is plain to see what is going on with any type of
tuning.

I know Dean has a copy of the program and probably utilizes a good bit
of that information in the RCT.

In an article which I am now preparing for the January issue of PTJ,
I will have a chart of the actual inharmonicity of the temperament area
of a particular piano. The pertinent partials are layed out in spread-
sheet form so that one can with just simple addition and subtraction
create an ideal tuning on paper just as one would do it aurally. This
is even more exact than Steve's presentation because it is dealing with
actual partials instead of calculated partials. When this comes out, I
hope many take up the challenge to work out a good tuning. It should be
relatively easy since no hammer technique will be involved and stability
will not be an issue. The main difficulty with this challenge is that
inharmonicity is not as smooth in real life as we would like it to be.

Jim Coleman, Sr.