"Boinging" strings

C. Mike Swendsen swendsec@cadvision.com
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 14:02:34 -0600

The ususal cause of "boinging" strings is the bridge has rolled under
the offending strings.  Many old uprights have the same problem.  IMHO,
the reason for this happening is that the bridges were turned up (like
the end of a 'J') this allows the bridge to curl or roll nad causes the
soundboard to distort/crack etc. in this region of the piano.  In some
pianos  the bridge was straight or had an apron of sorts to keep this
from happening.
As a quick repair (not the proper kind in which at least the bridge is
rebuilt/replaced,or soundboard and bridge) you might try heavily
lacquering the hammer and then when dry, voicing the heck out of it
again.  You need the hammer heavy enough to help overcome this dead area
of soundboard.  It will never sing properly though until proper repairs
are made. ( of course this is just MHO)
C. Mike Swendsen RPT