Tuning Invention Idea

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 23:28:16 -0700

> I thought this was going to be another tongue in cheek but I guess Les is
> serious.  Well, I am still new at this stuff (feel free to jump all over me
> if I am wrong)  but it is my understanding that pianos go out of tune NOT
> because the pins move in the pinblock so much as the soundboard absorbs and
> expels moisture from the surrounding air, thereby throwing out the tunings
> in one fell swoop!
>
> Glenn.
>
> .-
First of all, this is not an either/or situation. Yes, the soundboard
does respond to humidity changes which affects tuning significantly.
Also, if the instrument is played, especially hard playing, the shock of
the hammers striking the strings will disturb the contact the strings
have with the bearing points which can allow wire to be pulled from the
tuning pin helix or, lacking that, wire may be pulled from the tuning
pin segment until the tension on either side of the agraffe/capo is
somewhat equal during hard blows. In any case, the tuning pins will need
to be readjusted to get the piano back in tune.

Therefore, I'm going to hazard a guess that Les' tongue was firmly
brazed into one of his cheeks.

I personally use marine-grade epoxy. It doesn't char the plate.

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA