New Asian Pianos

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 08:53:17 -0500

Dear People,
With the current thread on Chinese pianos I would make the following
observations.
On the TV last week I watched a segment on China.  I never heard of this
from this perspective before.  It concerned building a dam on the Yangtze
River.  It seems that the river is used as an open sewer to dispose of all
wastes to dump into the ocean finally.  Because of all the garbage and
wastes left on the banks the flooding which happens very regularly kind of
flushes everything out.  It seems disgusting but it has worked for them for
untold years.  Now they are going to build a dam across the river which
will stop the flooding and generate electricity.  Since the flooding and
flushing is going to stop when this is completed the river upstream will
turn into a permanent toilette bowl.  You don't get one thing without
giving up another.  The fellow who was giving the report said that there
were including this project only 3 monumental things the Chinese have done
through history.  The first was the Great Wall which took a very long time
to build, and was obsolete before it was even completed and didn't work
anyway.  I don't recall the 2nd huge project but it was a failure also.
Thirdly was this current dam project.  In another words the Chinese have
not been very successful in completing any huge task.
Yet many revere them.  Their Chinese medicine (Acu-puncture, Chinese herbs,
Art; etc. are very popular around the world as is their legendary patience
which is emulated.  How then will this piano making fit in with their past
failures.  Will it be a huge undertaking to build terrible instruments.
Since the idea is to sell these same pianos to their own, will their
terribleness turn off the Chinese to the piano with them thinking that all
pianos are as poor as theirs?  Will this make imported pianos in China much
more valuable?
	 Why would we want to import the inferior pianos and turn off our own
budding low cost pianos buyers to all pianos?  Why can't they use Chinese
names for these things rather than names like Brentwood and other American
and German sounding names.  That would at least be some truth in packaging.
 Remember the brand "Grand Piano" and how rotten they were?
Can Y-C, Samick, Yamaha, Kawai straighten them out before it is too late an
no one will by a Chinese piano at any price, much less give it a
consideration?  Who knows.  I am always skeptical of the term "fine
imported".  So what if it is fine and imported we have fine and domestic
here too.  We also have available imported trash, who needs more?
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"Do it because it is right"