New Asian Pianos

Phil Bondi tito@peganet.com
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 16:26:09 -0400 (EDT)

> Remember the brand "Grand Piano" and how rotten they were?

..i came across my first one about a month ago..a real PSO/POS..

>Can Y-C, Samick, Yamaha, Kawai straighten them out before it is too late an
>no one will by a Chinese piano at any price, much less give it a
>consideration?

..don't bet on it..as long as it cost the manufacturers less to have them
built there, that's where they will be built..that's a very general
statement, but it is also the way of this world..it happens to us all the
time as techs..someone will call asking for a price for a tuning..and then
that person might tell you *well, so and so will do it for X less*...THAT
customer will go to that toooner..we all know our *better* customers would
never consider using someone else..just as well as the *better*
manufacturers will not use inferior materials or *cheaper* labor..I
personally have seen some fine Asian Pianos..and I have also seen some
Asians that i wouldn't recommend to anyone at any price..again, a general
statement, and works for the domestic side, too..We ALL have seen some fine
Y-C's, Yamis, and the like..the trend is to cheap cheap labor and it SEEMS
even cheaper material..my opinion is get use to it.