the Welded Piano

Sun, 12 Oct 1997 14:23:16 -0700

Susan Kline wrote:

> Folks --
>
> I've been hearing about this welded piano for years, but always 3rd or 4th
> hand. It was usually located somewhere in the Canadian prairies -- between
> Winnipeg and Regina, or thereabouts. It could have been North Dakota, which
> is fairly close. So now I'll never know if there are two or three (or
> more??) of these things.
>
> As a variation, people talked about someone (a farmer, again) who embedded
> the tuning pins in cement. Has anybody actually seen that one?
>
> Yours,
>
> Susan
> >

> >On Sat, 11 Oct 1997, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

Susan,

I don't know about the concrete/cement technique, but I do know about the one in ND with the welded
tuning pins. I helped haul it to the dump.

I also know about the one which had the tuning "locked in for life" by a "tooner" who laid the piano
on its back and poured epoxy all around the tuning pins. The piano owner said that the operation
took two days and she was not supposed to play the piano for three more days after the tooner set
the piano back on its feet, collected his check and left. (No, he hadn't tuned it before the
"locking in" operation--she thought that was a bit strange, also. But she did pay him.) For whatever
reason, the "locking in" operation didn't seem to hurt the piano much. It was still tunable.
Probably didn't help much either, but who knows? I didn't see the piano before this was done.

Del