Piano On Ice.

KCW kw2@acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:47:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi list,
	This is just my opinion.  As long as the piano is stored BELOW
water freezing point, the piano shouldn't be damaged.  Why?  because the
water in the wood won't evaporate therefore the wood won't shrink (is this
the right word?)  However, if you store a piano right above the freezing
point, the climate will be very dry and the water content of the wood will
become very low without humility control.  You mentioned that some piano
had rusty strings because water condensed on strings when piano was
brought to "normal" room temperature too rapidly (that's because wood and
metal have different heat velocity gradient).  Obviousely, the water vapor
is coming from the wood!  I actually believe it's better to store a piano
below freezing point (with sufficient water content) than to store a piano
in a regular home where humility changes _constantly_ because once the
piano is below freezing point, the water content of the wood NEVER
changes --> the best humility control you can possibly have (well,
almost)!  It's a good idea to bring the temperature back gradualy.  Treat
it like your car's engine, don't heat up your car's engine too fast in
winter (as recommented by virtualy all engine builders).  As a rule of
dumb, always make sure the wood has sufficient water content before
"freezing" (it should).

Kuang