"Feelin' in Tune? (part I)

Sat, 18 Oct 1997 09:41:24 -0700

NBWW@aol.com wrote:

> Dave
> Have you come across any remedies for tinnitus that is agravated by the notes
> in the 4th and 5th octaves. Some days are so bad, I plug my ears.

Dear NBWW (whoever you are),

If you're talking about true tinnitus, there are no cures. Nor does it look like there is much interest in finding one. It's
not one of the glamour health problems.

It is the result (usually) of to much exposure to to much loud noise for to long a period of time. If a single exposure
doesn't do it, several might. Mine came from working to close to some very loud airplanes for my Uncle and was later
aggravated by exposure to high sound levels in some fairly loud factories. In the first case the furnished hearing protection
was inadequate, in the second, both the factory and I should have known better.

While there is no cure, there is prevention. Turn the music down. Wear your earplugs, not just while tuning, but anytime
you're around loud noises. Stay away from the jack hammer. Put them on before you turn on the saw. Put them in before the
plane takes off. Don't be embarrassed, take them out of your pocket and put them in. It's not Manly to be deaf when it is
preventable. Tinnitus is a curse you will have inside your head for the rest of your life.

While I no longer tune, I did so for quite a while after it developed. Tinnitus does not affect your ability to discern
pitch. But that was when I got in the habit of wearing earplugs while tuning. Especially with Asian pianos. It was the only
thing that helped reduce the pain of the excessively harsh upper tenor and treble sections. These days, even without
tinnitus, I'd wear ear protection while tuning.

If you already have tinnitus, it's too late to either prevent it or get rid of it. But you should do your best to keep it
from getting worse--which it will with very little additional provocation.

For more information, you can contact the American Tinnitus Association. (P.O. Box 5, Portland, OR  97207-0005)

They also have a web page at http://www.teleport.com/~ata/

Good luck,

Delwin D Fandrich