Hammer Weight

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:12:45 -0700

Newton Hunt wrote:

> You cannot rely on just down weight to determine how heavy or light a
> hammer should be.  The up weight is critical as well.  If you have an up
> weight of 29 grams and down weight is 53 frams your friction is 12
> grams, which is acceptable in the bass and your balance weight is 41
> grams, a little on the heavy side.
>
> If your hammer is 10 grams without a shank you are in the ball park for
> a piano this size.  If you have to go lower than that you have other
> problems with this action.
>
>         Newton
Hi Newton,
           I think you missed my point, I know that I'm in the ball park
with a hammer of this weight. (10gms.)  Since I've replaced wippens and
shanks and prechecked all centres and sorted accordingly friction is not
my concern. With the required amount of tappering the the down touch up
touch spread has turned out to be 55gms 29gms in the bass tappering to
50gms 25gms in the treble.
  The instrument is going to a private home so maximizing the power is
not a big concern, however I like to strive for lower impact noise
levels and more English vowel like tone qualities up to mf, as opposed
to the average overly bright, sounding pianos that one is subjected to
today .
Erring on the light side of hammer mass helps to accomplish this.
  Now I'm off on a tangent.  My post was to get weight data of various
hammers prior to ordering, so that it may make things easier when trying
to select a new set of hammers for a specific job.
  Re; Jon page post, with net weight inclusive of shank. I have just
pulled some old and new flanges to satisfy my own curiosity, 0.2gm
difference old to new. about 0.1gm difference on a dozen samples of the
old flanges. The new thick shanks weigh 7.9gms average with flange.
Flanges weigh 4.1gms, therefore shank weight 3.8gms big difference from
your 1.9gms.
  Back to square one I think the availabilty of expanded data would be
useful. But hell it looks like I've opened a can of worms,
  Thank's for the David Stanwood imfo I'm sure I'll learn some more.
Kind regards.
Roger Jolly