New hammers on S&S

Clarence Zeches czeches@toccoafalls.edu
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 21:26:19 -0400

List

I have a S&S model B #333566 (1951) that had new hammers about 3 years ago.
 The teacher using this piano then had a very heavy touch and loved the
resistance he got when playing.  However, a different teacher is now using
this piano, and she is complaining about how stiff it is, especially for
her students.  The down-weight is well over 60 grams. Unfortunately, I do
not have in front of me the up-weight figures.  One of my questions is:
would the new hammers have that much  more mass than the origianls to
create that much resistance.  They are Steinway hammers.  I have no idea
what the original hammers were like.  We have regulated the action,  used
teflon powder on the sliding parts, etc., but will we need to remove a lot
of hammer felt to get the weight down?

Clarence Zeches