Flange Re-bushing

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:42:08 -0500

Hello, folks!

Concert season is in full swing and both Priscilla and I are on the road
a lot; there is not too much time for correspondence, electronic or
otherwise.

The Renner pre-glued strips of flange bushing cloth are "activated" by
simply wetting them with water.  We use a small piece of sponge to
_lightly_ dampen the glue side of the strip.  The strips that we have
are also graphited on the other side already and have a nice stiff point
on the end for insertion into the flange.  The strip should be "formed"
just before bushing using the bushing strip die with consecutively
smaller holes so the strip does not break.  If you have several flanges
to rebush, the flanges can be bushed in a group onto the same strip,
allowed to dry (this is important or the bushing will not stay in place)
and then cut apart.  A half-and-half solution of denatured alcohol and
water is a good sizing solution.

This is an abreviation of the whole procedure, but does answer the
questions posed below.  We have a class that explains all of this
procedure as well as bushing seam placement, standard resistance
specifications and continues on to repinning.  Perhaps this would be of
interest to some technicians and we would be glad to offer the class if
the PTG Institute directors requested it.  The class is given in
cooperation with Renner USA where all of the material and tools for this
work are available.

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas