New hammers on S&S

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 13:40:27 -0500

Dear Clarence,

Before you remove hammer weight as a solution I would recommend checking the
distance from the hammer flange center out to the center of the knuckle
core.  It should be 17mm to get the most leverage advantage.    I would
check this first before taking weight off the hammer as a solution.

A critical measurement to clue you in as to what is happening here would be
the key weight ratio.  How much does a gram on the capstan translate to an
upwards force at the front of the key where touchweight is measured?  The
technique is described in the June 1996 PTG Journal, "The New Touchweight
Metrology".

Key ratios are the big variable in Steinways.  You can never tell what they
might be unless you measure them.  If I new the Key weight ratio and the
distance to the knuckle core I could recommend a more specific coarse of action.

David Stanwood