How to become a Piano Technician

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:44:53 +0100

Larry,
I've read that about half of tuner/technicians got their start through a
home study course. I am currently taking the Randy Potter course and
highly recommend it - no other home study course comes even close to
being as good. In addition to a wealth of course materials, you also get
a lot of the basic tools that you will need to get started.
As to how one goes about making contacts, networking, etc., this is all
covered in the Randy Potter course. The course has 6 general sections:
tuning, repairs, regulation, apprenticeship, business and suppliers.
The business section deals with advertising and other strategies for
client development.
As to some of your other questions:
   Market for good tuner/technicians is pretty good. Don't expect to get
rich, but one should still be able to build up a good client base.
   Most technicians are independent. Some technicians work for piano
stores, manufacturers and universities. There are some "companies" that
have several technicians.
   As to how to find an apprenticeship in the SF area, she might contact
the the SF (or nearest) Piano Technicians Guild chapter.