remove spinet action

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:54:01 -0700

Rob Stuart-Vail wrote:

> I may have to remove the action from a Fischer spinet.  There are damper
> problems and the two action bolts (machine screws) that thread into the plate
> have been cross-threaded and mutilated beyond use.  Brackets on the ends of
> the action, with screws going into the case,  are providing the holding power
> at the moment, and there is damper leakage because of it.
>
> I removed two dampers with cracked (plastic) flanges and I'm hoping an epoxy
> repair will be possible on these.  I may also be able to chase the threads for
>
> the action bolts and get those in properly, so that I may not  have to pull
> the action (here's hoping).
>
> However, if I do  have to take the action out, I need some advice on whether I
>
> can possibly take keys and action (maybe keyframe, too)  all at once, since
> the sticker wires run through the ends of the keys, and the adjusting nuts on
> the ends of the stickers are wood.
>
> Failing this,  should I make a saw cut in the end of each key to permit the
> wire to pass through ? (just kidding, I think).  <g>.  When there is no
> escaping it,  has anybody used a reversible electric drill to spin off and
> replace the wood nuts?  I don't much fancy torturing my tennis elbow with
> doing it by hand.
>
> The client is willing to have me replace the plastic damper flanges if
> necessary,  but I know there may be other problems once I get into it.  I
> might have opted out at the beginning, but this is a neighbor and I hated to
> say no.
>
> Well, help!
>
> Rob Stuart-Vail
Hi Rob,
            Just a tip that may help in the over all scheme of things.
if you are replacing the plastic damper flanges, consider changing the
damper felt at the same time. I have found that it is quicker than
trying to seat and fiddle the dampers at the tail end of the job,plus
give better results. Epoxy does not work so well on the smooth plastic.
Order at least 6 more elbows that you think you need, trust me you will
probably has some break by magic.
Regards Roger
Heck I'm going to stop using my last name someone called me Mr.