Plate break after restringing

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:01:56 -0700

At 07:27 PM 10/28/97 -0800, you wrote:
 I heard this
>loud bang and discovered a large crack in the left bottom of the plate
>where it curves around the corner from the bottom to the vertical.
>
>I have several questions:
>
>1. What is my liability in this situation?
>
>2. How much does plate repair cost usually?
>
>3. I have over a thousand dollars worth of labor in this turkey
>already.  Will I be able to collect any of it if the plate can't be
>repaired.
>
>4. How would you handle the customer?
>
>Thanks,
>
>WHATAREVOLTINGMESSTHISISFISHER
>--
>Home of the Humor List
>Warren D. Fisher
>fish@communique.net
>Registered Piano Technician
>Piano Technicians Guild
>New Orleans Chapter 701

Warren,
	At least you know the full value of humor. I had one pop after the
customer refinished it. It's never fun.
	Bottom line on liabilty is that without negligence, you're not liable.
Then there's "the right thing".
	Plate repair can be real cheap, if you find the right welder. I've had the
best luck with automotive-types, that have some engine block experience.
Consider also using extra support bolts, through to the back beams, or even
a steel spacer between the beams. If you stabalize the plate's position,
then brazing can sometimes be performed with the plate in the piano.
"Sandwich" plates can also be used on struts. I've done it a few times,
with success. Pianos still holding after 10-15 years.
	If repair cain't be did, then you may be able to help the customer find a
replacement piano, at somewhere near your total maximum rebuild price, that
you buy for less and keep the difference. Not un-ethical, just
resourceful.Customer wins, you win(or don't loose much), and garbage goes
where garbage belongs! Remember, lessons learned have a very high value.
	Photographs. They can help convince customers to share the burden. I had a
plate pop, that when removed, still had the chalk marks from the factory,
where plate discrepencies were located, on the backside.
	Best of luck to you, bro, we won't freak out if the humor list runs low
for the next few days.

Guy

Guy Nichols, Member, PTG
nicho@lascruces.com

              "Not everything that counts can be counted,
               and not everything that can be counted counts."
				                          Albert Einstein