aftertouch/front rail punchings

Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:28:34 -0800

David ilvedson wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> I like a nickel thickness and would find a dime's thickness too
> close to level for my taste.  Each to his own.
>
> David ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA

---------------------------------

All of this begs the question, "how much aftertouch should there be?" A good case can be
made that neither a dime nor a nickel is correct. Then again either one might be.

When discussing aftertouch most people do tend to think of what is happening with the
front of the key. What we should be concerned with, of course, is what is happening with
the jack. Specifically, with the tip of the jack and its relationship to the hammershank
knuckle. This relationship depends on a variety of factors including the hammer blow
distance, the overall key-to-hammer lever ratio, the jack letoff distance and, most
specifically, the length of the jack lever.

Aftertouch -- whether it be a natural key or a sharp -- should be set so that the jack
clears the knuckle when the key is fully depressed. That may be 1.6 mm (a penny's worth),
it might be 1.8 mm (a nickel's worth), it could be 1.4 mm (a dime's worth) or even 1.7 mm
(a quarters worth). Usually it will come out to be somewhere between 1.0 and 2.0 mm.

-- ddf