Scaling

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:00:41 -0600 (CST)

Del,

>Perhaps Owen Jorgensen
>could add an appendix to his book listing these frequencies. Also, it
should be a simple
>matter for Al and Dean to reprogram their products accordingly to include
the appropriate
>BRoFa (Bridge Rotation Factor) for each temperment. It should be possible
to fit all of
>these BRoFa's on one CD-ROM unless some more new HT's are invented after
the system is in
>place.

BRoFa huh, isn't that like a SNAFU without the committee? Hey, wait a minute
here, one - two - three... Say, how many constitutes a committee anyway?

>In fact, it is quite possible that some added features can be worked
>in, such as a method for automatically raising the pitch of the instrument.
It should be a
>fairly simple matter to simply move the bridge back away from the agraffes
slightly. This
>would make the strings longer and their resonant pitch would go up. Thus
when it became
>necessary to raise pitch, the task could be accomplished by a simple
adjustment taking
>mere moments. This feature may not be popular with those piano technicians
who derive a
>substantial portion of their income from pitch raising. But that is their
problem, not
>mine.

Uh oh, *features*! Perhaps a cryogenic string chiller would produce a
similar effect, and allow a few cool tunes as a bonus. A properly designed
chiller would also drive the unit price up high enough to interest the
Military. There are fortunes to be made in after market parts, training
seminars, and consultation fees if you can meet the dress code (and get a
haircut). It would also keep your beer cold.

>I expect to be able to at least partially solve the voice
>problems with a variable density (hammer) head. I do not anticipate that
dynamic
>expression will be a problem.

That will shoot you right out of Military waters. Hammer heads only come in
extra dense grade in the Armed Forces (see above reference to unit pricing
and dress codes).

>Obviously, there are many technical problems to be overcome here. So,
please don't expect
>immediate results. However, I should have some meaningful progress to
report by this same
>time next year.
>
>Till then,
>
>My regards to all...
>
>Delwin D Fandrich
>Piano Designer & Builder

That figures. Ask for a thumb tack and this guy wants to build you a
bulletin board factory.

 Ron Nossaman