Squeaking pedal w. Unacorda

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:36:20 EST

>Hello List,
>
>	I am about to work on a Steinway B which supposedly squeaks when
>the Right pedal is used only with the left.  Alone it is fine.
>
>	Any ideas in advance?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Eliot Lee

Eliot:

You didn't say how old the piano is, but assuming everything else on the piano
is in good condition, I can't think of a reason inside the piano that would
cause the right pedal to squeek when the left one is depressed. Perhaps
someone else will come up with an idea, but the problem might not be inside
the piano. Make sure the lyre is firmly attached to the bottom of the piano,
and that both lyre support rods are firm in their respective holes. By
pressing on the left pedal, it might cause the lyre to shift enough to cause a
grunt, groan, or squeek where the lyre braces set into their holes underneath
the piano, or at the bottom of the lyre.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis