Emerson & Knabe Mystery

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 09:38:30 EST

>I looked at an Emerson spinette today that has a serial # 247689. On the
>inside side panel it says, distributed by Knabe. Well, Pierce Atlas only
>lists
>Emersons until 1940 with #169000 for that year. Then it says to see Poole or
>Ivers & Pond. Under these two names there is no mention of Emerson, and
>besides, the serial numbers don't go up to 247689 anyway. What's the deal????
>Does anyone know what Knabe has to do with Emerson? And why is there no cross
>refference to Emerson from Knabe, Poole or Ivers & Pond? Please lift me out
>of
>this fog...Thanks.
>Larry Trischetta, Pocono Northeast Chapter
>Scranton, Pa.

I had an Emerson piano, and had the same problem. I finally gave up trying to
find the real reasona, and speculated that since all of the above named pianos
belonged to Aeolian- American, as the owner of those names, the company could
designate any piano it made as having been manufactured by one of their
product lines. It is very confusing, but this is the best solution I could
come with.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis