Hoax information about a new virus

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Fri, 03 Apr 1998 13:16:00 -0500

Willem Blees wrote:

>My son sent this to me.  Willem Blees
>
> I have just received a Virus Warning. If you receive an
>>> e-mail
  [..snip..]

This hoax has been around the block several times in several forms.
The fact is that merely opening and reading e-mail cannot infect your
computer with a virus.  It is possible for an e-mail to come with an
attached file that will get deposited in your "ATTACH" directory, or
some such place, and if it is an executable program and if you are so
foolish as to deliberately run that unknown program, then sure, it could
release a virus.  But merely reading e-mail - no.

Bob Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan